The Station's Pier complex is one of the longest "finger piers" in the world. It is presently comprised of a two-mile long trestle which connects to three finger piers - Piers 2, 3 and 4. One mile from the shore the trestle branches off to Pier 1, which is not currently used. At the junction of Piers 2, 3 and 4 a concrete platform supports the port operations building and a few other structures. This area is known as the "wye."
The original piers and trestle were constructed in the 1940's during World War II. The "wye" was added in 1981, Pier 4 was completed in 1990 and a new main approach trestle was constructed in 1993. Elevated loading platforms line both sides of each pier.
Since World War II the pier complex has provided ammunition services to almost every class of vessel operated by the Navy and Coast Guard as well as commercially owned vessels from a multitude of nations.